Youth Soccer League
September 21, 2008
At the JCC
Present: M. Arter, B. Guzzetta, J. VanDellon, M. VanDellon,
D. Crowe, S. Gurak, L. Boyon, N. Fisher, G. Hebert
- Revisit rules discussion
- Vacation notification: DCs should notify their coaches,
their gender VP, and Mark if they will be away during the season. This
allows E-mails to be forwarded and dealt with in a timely manner. This
will be included in the spring DC training.
- Fines/fees for forfeited games: DCs need to be aware
that, in the case of a forfeit by the visiting team, the website must
show a credit of the referee fee to the home team and a debit of the
referee fee to the visiting team. This will be included in the spring DC
- Referee assignors: US Soccer requires consultation with
the state referee committee on selection of assignor(s). Board
recommends that, if a change in assignor is to be made, that a change
only be considered for the U-17/19 ages. Board wants assignor decision
made before end of 2008. ACTION: Mary will discuss with Pat Tata.
- Substitution rules: No changes.
- Continue behavior improvement discussion
- Definition of fighting: George shared soccer definitions
of Serious Foul Play and Violent Conduct—there is no soccer definition of
fighting. Board agreed to make no change in use of “fighting” in our
- Sanctions—fines vs. suspensions: ACTION: Include as
part of discussion with club presidents.
- Club best practices: Is part of discussion with club
- Zero Tolerance proposal: Board agreed to adopt Zero
Tolerance Policy, with changes proposed by George. ACTION: Get article
on our adoption of Zero Tolerance published in D&C (Mary).
- Sportsmanship awards: Board agreed to adopt team-level
sportsmanship award for U-11 and higher age groups. All teams that meet
the criteria will receive award. The award will be recognition on the
website. ACTION: George will develop proposal for a club-level
sportsmanship award, to present at next board meeting.
- Referee evaluations—next steps
- Review data: distribution of scores is not
normal—clustered near high end of scale. Eight referees (worked more
than 6 games) have overall or category averages below 7.0.
- Review comments: 35 referees have mostly negative comments.
- Recognition for top referees: ACTION: Mary will send R+
E-mail to top referees.
- Actions for problem referees: Board recommended giving
referees option to see their comments as feedback to drive improvement.
Board recommended working with referee unit to help poorer referees
improve. ACTION: Mary and Joe to meet with Bill Engel.
- Proposal from Genesee Lancers to shorten season to 8
- Board recommended implementing for U-19 age only, for 10
games (not 8). Board recommended putting on agenda for club presidents’
meeting. ACTION: Mary to contact P. Gruppenberger.
- Preparation for presidents’ meeting
- Agenda OK: Additions as noted in these notes. Board
recommended a time limit on U-12 discussion and limit on time each
individual can speak.
- Voting mechanics: Vote on U-12 to be conducted as
described in bylaws. ACTION: George will prepare ballots. Mary will
send revised agenda to presidents.
- Next meeting is Sunday, October 19, 2008 at 2 PM at the
JCC (assuming Neil is able to get a room).