RDYSL Annual General Meeting
Wednesday, November 29, 2006
7:00 9:00 pm
MCC Empire Room
i. More teams (514)
ii. More divisions (55 competitive divisions)
iii. Every club had a team that as awarded trophy shirts!
1. District Commissioner Roger Best
2. Glen Buckley
ii. Rochester Rhinos
1. Mike Spellman, Nick Brockway, Norm Maurer
2. Discussed several opportunities that the Board is working with the Rhinos were discussed.
iii. Division Coordinators
1. Are the connection between the teams and the league
2. Without them a league this size could not operate
3. They do a great job setting up the divisions, collecting scores and other data and implementing the policy set by the board.
4. We welcome 5 new DCs for the 2007 season
a. U8-U9 Howie DeLooze RH NEW
b. U10 Kim Yavorek Canandaigua NEW
c. U11-U12 Beth Guzzetta Pittsford NEW
d. U13-U14 Jim LeGrett HFL
e. U15-U16 Susan Gurak Buccaneers
f. U17-U19 Mary Arter Eclipse
a. U8-U10 Donna Kephart NEW
b. U11-U12 Hawks NEW
c. U13-U14 Kurt Knoblauch Canandaigua
d. U15-U16 Michael Fridman Fairport NEW
e. U7-U19 Dennis Crowe Byron-Bergen
i. President Gary Levine
ii. 1st V.P. Boys Coordinator Neil Fisher
iii. 2nd V.P. Girls Coordinator Jacky Van Dellon
iv. 3rd V.P. Referee, Discipline Concerns Joe Walton
v. 4th V.P. Website Matters Mark Van Dellon
vi. Secretary Karen May
vii. Treasurer/Scheduler Lou Boyon
i. Motion to elect proposed slate Laurie Crawford Hilton-Parma SC
ii. 2nd Mike Moss Wayne Wings SC
i. Lou handed out summary of budget for past year and proposed budget for next year.
i. Remember NYSW has a 50-cent increase per player this year.
ii. No RDYSL fee increase remains $2.50 per player
i. Quiet year as far as incidents
ii. Fees and Fines were about the same as last year. Many teams made use of the $75 in-season game change to avoid forfeit fines.
iii. We saw some use of illegal players in tournaments and one incident within league play.
1. Gary recommended to NYSW that they come up with a standard governing fair play in all NYSW sanctioned tournaments that would cover subsequent league play.
iv. Gary mentioned several clubs as being commended for their minimal fees and fines. Great job!
v. Gary also thanked the clubs that paid larger fees and fines for helping balance out budget.
i. No major changes in website planned for this year will run as usual.
i. Arbiter experiment worked well this year
1. Hopefully continued use will increase their efficiency so we can use more ARs.
2. We have requested ARs at our girls U17/19 divisions so clubs need to plan accordingly for paying these referees.
3. Also requested, if possible, that Boys U16 1st division to be covered with ARs.
1. 2/3rds of the games had evaluations by coaches
2. Of the 122 referees that we had reports of 6 or more games
a. About 21% were rated 9 or better
b. 52% were 8 or better
c. 23% were 7 or better
d. And only 4% were 6 or below
e. 96% acceptable rating for our regular referees
3. This data is important
a. Lets get 100% game reporting
b. We paid to have referees performance reviewed based upon weak and strong performances. This worked well this year.
iii. Travel vouchers please pay them when you get them some were delayed this year.
1. We need more referees the pool gets smaller every year set up a club wide training day for referee course.
2. Set up a ref course for a group of your kids.
3. Discussion about an email Joe Walton sent suggesting not assigning referees for U8 & U9. And letting new younger referees from the club do these games. This was met with some opposition belief is that the best place to start new younger referees is in the house leagues Travel program is a tough place to start.
4. Chris Chilano explained that retention and recruitment is the biggest problem Biggest reason verbal abuse from coaches and parents.
5. Most agreed that the verbal situation was an issue but also confidence.
6. Would like to work with referee unit to get more training for referees.
7. Need a meeting with referee unit/ leagues and NYSW to work out these issues.
i. Seeking to arrange dates at Paetec Park
1. Discussed setting up a date where we could have Paetec Park for the day to play RDYSL league games
2. Move regular scheduled games to that date
3. Working with Rhinos organization to see if we can work this out before the final schedule
ii. Pre-game and half time games are being worked between the Rhinos and individual clubs. Contact the Rhinos directly
iii. Honors night for champion teams with their champions shirts
1. Would like to do this again this year.
2. Need more than 4 days notice
3. Trophy shirts not handed out until end of July so plan is for early August.
iv. Honorary day for the younger teams.
i. This is a guest players, club pass or call up rule
ii. One year experiment in the older age groups only so U17 & U19 can call up from U16s (or U17s if applicable).
iii. 21 out of our 29 clubs could have taken advantage of this rule last season
iv. Use it to supplement attendance issues
1. See if we can reduce the number of games with 9 or 10 players
2. Order some extra shirts!
3. Secondary goal to advance player development
v. This experiment is to see if RDYSL can handle using call up players
1. This plan can be abused
2. Calling up that star player when you have 15 regulars show up.
3. Overworking a kid that just played 5 nights in a row.
4. At the end of the season we will look to see if this experiment worked and if it should be expanded to include other age groups.
vi. The process is intended to be simple see the form that was handed out.
1. Coach and club representative confer to consider factors such as need of the older team (attendance) and the factors of the younger player (age, skill, size, maturity, number of games in a week, etc.).
2. The coach and call up player fill out the form and acknowledge the ramifications.
3. The form and the player pass get turned over to the referee
4. Call up players name must be on the roster form
5. Player for all rules is considered a member of the older team watch out for red cards!
6. Discussions from the groups
a. Hope to see this moved down to U13, 14 really helps at younger ages for player development.
b. Get your coaches, especially older coaches, to the coaches meeting, as this will be explained in detail then.
i. What do we do if the coaches believe that the field is unsafe? Answer: If the referee feels the field is OK then must play the game or choose not to and take a forfeit. Kids safety is the most important thing.